Thursday, October 1, 2015

Half of my PhD period in UH

Alhamdulillah, today is exactly half of my PhD period in UH. Still 3 more years to come in order to complete my degree (in syaa Allah), though I really hope that I can defense next year (haha... dreaming! :) ). Is it long enough to get my PhD? yes! (i bet you said it loudly). I thought the same thing in the beginning, but within this 3 years I still feel the same... hahaha. Just kidding! Although some times I feel so depressed with my works (I bet all PhD student have the same feeling on it ;) ), one by one the works could be finished and I really enjoy the learning process. So here I am in the half of my way, I feel it just like yesterday when I was signing the contract as PhD student in UH. 

Why I have longer period for my PhD compared to normally PhD student has? A lot of friends asked the same question about it. I have 6 years contract being a slave...ups ... being Phd in UH. Compared to ordinary PhD (4 years), those students mainly doing research in those 4 years, perhaps some of them also doing other works (teaching, consultancy, etc), but the percentage of research:other = 85:15. In my case, instead of only doing research I also have to do some consultancy works (the percentage is 50:50 between the two), that's why I have longer period than those students. In UH, there are some colleagues that have the same PhD period as mine, but they have different tasks. They have to teach the bachelor degree instead of to do consultancy (as I know all of them are native in here), but some of them also doing consultancy as well (teaching+consultancy)..hehe. 

It is quite challenging experience doing research and consultancy in the same time.Since my research and consultancy project have very different topic. And also I need to manage the time wisely for the two types of works (research+consultancy), yet I really bad in this area. I am still learning how to divide my time between the two, especially when the deadline of the two very close each other. Is it stressing? yes!but what I learn from those 2 different things is valuable.



If I score what I did for this last 3 years (I need to be objective for myself), and compare the ones what I gained and the personal target that I had set in the beginning of my PhD ( I am a dreamer! ;) ), the scores as the following:
1) Research Papers (6/10)[Target: min 2 papers per year --> I still have 4 submitted + 1 drafted (the deadline is this week:( )] 
2) Consultancy (5/10) (Target: being expert in consultancy ---> haha.. still very far to go)

This scores made me realize that I still very far from what I expected and dreamed. I realize that this past 3 years I had so much leisure times as the escaped moment when I faced the difficulties in my research or consultancy projects. That's why I have and need to work harder to accomplish what I dream for. I really have to stop being lazy all the time and comeback become "old" myself that always work harder to get my dream come true. Lets starting this comeback by finishing the 5th paper this week!!Bismillah! 


2 comments: